Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Tchotchke Centerpiece/Favors


...and with a little less than 5 hours left of this beautiful, rainy Wednesday I bring you:
 
                                                                                                              Picture by Kristen Mallory
WEDDING WEDNESDAY: 
TCHOTCHKE EDITION! 

For a full year before my wedding I collected tchotchkes from junk shops, second hand stores, garage sales and of course, Etsy to create my combination centerpiece/favors. 
There were a couple of rules for collecting these hollow treasures, they needed to be:
a. planters
b. under $7 (american currency) and
c. a little "off"....not exactly ugly, just "off".
To make them into centerpieces was truly a family affair.  We (my 4 year old flowergirl, Sister and I) planted succulents in all of the tchotchkes, put them on wooden disks (cut especially for me by my loving Father), accompanied them with precious little terra cotta pots filled with small white flowers (put together by Lady, my Mom) added hand stamped signs (Made by Liz) that said, "take me home tonight!" and then they were all artfully arranged on each table by my BFF, Gina Marie.
Pictures by Meredith Mascola
The results were 100% unique, semi home-made, adorable little bits of precious that I could hardly stand to give away!!  These were SUCH a huge hit I was blown away!  People were hiding them from each other and stealing them off tables all night.  I personally saw the squirrel change hands at least 3 times, I'm still hearing stories about who the rightful owner should be.  And now the fun part is finding out where all of them went.  I love going to friend's houses and seeing which planter everyone ended up with (aka who swiped what while no-one else was looking!) 
  
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love the blog. It is still fun to watch. And I know where some of them are. Your Aunties loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an original idea. Where did you buy the elephant planter from?

    ReplyDelete